United States Immigration Services

Online Guide to U.S. Visas, ESTA, Green Cards & More

United States Immigration Services is a major publisher of immigration guides and legal eBooks. Our do-it-yourself immigration guides are designed to assist immigrants in navigating the complicated United States immigration system. We strive to provide the best information about immigration to the United States.

Green Card Updates (including Name Changes)


Green Card Updates Application Guide was created to assist permanent residents of the United States (Green Card holders) in completing and filing their own Green Card renewal, replacement, or update forms. It does not require an immigration lawyer's expensive assistance. This guide will help you correct any errors and update your Green Card.

  • Start Application Immediately
  • Easy to Understand Instructions
  • Apply Online or by Mail
  • Pricing and Fee Information Included
  • Checklist of Required Documents
  • Unlimited Online Support

What's included

What's included

  • Overview of Green Card Updates and Changes
  • How to update your green card due to a name modification (Green Card name changes)
  • How to modify biographic data on your Green Card
  • How to correct or update your Green Card if you have incorrect or incomplete information
  • How to get rid of the “Conditional Resident” status (temporary green card)
  • How to check the status of a Green Card Renewal application already submitted
  • Information about eligibility

  • List of Documents Required
  • Information about Filing Fees
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
  • List of all USCIS Offices in the Nation
  • Directory of U.S. Consulates and Embassies
  • Directory of U.S. Consulates and Embassies

Are you a holder of a Green Card that was issued between 1977-1989?

The USCIS proposes that all permanent residents of the United States with a Green Card will be required to apply for a new or updated Green Card. The expired Green Cards from 1977 to 1989 (Form AR-3/AR-103 and I-151) are valid until the USCIS determines a termination date. It is not currently required to update Green Cards with no expiration date. It is recommended that you do so in order to avoid being “Out Of Status” after the rule goes into effect. Do you hold a green card issued between 1977-1989?
Get the Green Card Renewal Manual today and apply for your Green Card.
It is important to immediately replace your Green Card if you have lost it. If your Green Card is lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed, or becomes illegible or contains incorrect or obsolete information, this should be done immediately. The new version must replace any older versions, such as Form AR-3 or Form I-151. Individuals who have “Commuter Status”, or are automatically being converted into permanent status, should also replace their green cards. Find out more about Green Card Replacement
It is important to keep your proof that you are a permanent resident of the United States currency. This is especially important if a Green Card holder has to change their name for marriage or other reasons. The Green Card must be updated and replaced as soon as possible after a name change. To update the Green Card name, several documents are required. Permanent residents may also need to change or update their Green Card for other reasons. A Green Card might be issued with incomplete or incorrect information. You must immediately correct any incorrect or incomplete information on your Green Card. Get the Green Card Update Application Guide today and submit your application.

If you are interested in the Green Card Updates Application Guide, please download it:

  • Name change: If your name has been changed recently due to marriage or for any other reason.
  • Outdated or Incorrect Information – If you have incorrect or out-of-date information on your Green Card.

Additional green card issues:

  • Ineligible Green Cards: If you lose, steal, mutilate, destroy or are ineligible for a green card, you should apply immediately for a substitute.
  • Green Card not received: Sometimes, a Green Card is not received, even though it was approved and issued by USCIS. There are steps to take if you do not receive a Green Card after you have submitted an application. How to Request a New Green Card.
  • Removing “Conditional Residence”: Individuals with expired conditional Green cards are considered “Out Of Status” and may be deported by the USCIS. The Replacement Application Guide provides instructions for filing and how to apply for a permanent and unconditional Green Card.
  • Address Changes: Permanent residents (Green Card holders), are required to notify the USCIS about any address changes. Willful failure to notify the USCIS of an address change within 10 calendar days is a serious offence. You don’t have to make any changes on your Green Card and you only need to change your address. Please download the Address Change Application Guide.
  • Expired Green Card You should immediately submit your Green Card Renewal Application if your Green Card has expired or is about to expire in 6 months.