United States Immigration Services

Online Guide to U.S. Visas, ESTA, Green Cards & More

United States Immigration Services is a major publisher of immigration guides and legal eBooks. Our do-it-yourself immigration guides are designed to assist immigrants in navigating the complicated United States immigration system. We strive to provide the best information about immigration to the United States.

Green Card Replacement Application Guide


The Green Card Replacement Application Guide was created to assist a permanent resident of the United States, also known by Green Card holders, in completing and filing his or her own Green Card Replacement Application without the assistance of an immigration lawyer. This guide includes detailed instructions for filing and all required Green Card replacement forms.

  • Start Application Immediately
  • Easy to Understand Instructions
  • Apply Online or by Mail
  • Pricing and Fee Information Included
  • Checklist of Required Documents
  • Unlimited Online Support

What's included

What's included

  • Overview of the Green Card Replacement Application Process
  • What should you do if your Green Card gets lost, stolen, or mutilated?
  • Green Card Replacement Application
  • How to get rid of the “Conditional Resident” status (temporary green card)
  • Submitting a Green Card Change of Name
  • Find out about Expedited Replacement Green Cards
  • How to check the status of a Green Card Replacement application already submitted
  • How to get the most recent United States immigration forms

  • Information about eligibility
  • List of Documents Required
  • Information about Filing Fees
  • How to remove “Conditional Residence Status”
  • How to update incorrect or out-of-date information
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
  • List of all USCIS Offices in the Nation
  • Directory of U.S. Consulates and Embassies

Are you a holder of a Green Card that was issued between 1977-1989?

The USCIS proposes that all permanent residents of the United States with a Green Card will be required to apply for a new or updated Green Card. The expired Green Cards from 1977 to 1989 (Form AR-3/AR-103 and I-151) are valid until the USCIS determines a termination date. It is not currently required to update Green Cards with no expiration date. It is recommended that you do so in order to avoid being “Out Of Status” after the rule goes into effect. Do you hold a Green card issued between 1977-1989?
It is important to immediately replace your Green Card if you have lost it. If your Green Card is lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed, or becomes illegible or contains incorrect or obsolete information, this should be done immediately. The new version must replace any older versions, such as Form AR-3 or Form I-151. Individuals who have “Commuter Status”, or are automatically being converted into permanent status should also replace their green cards.
It is important to renew your Green Card. Green Card holders (United States Permanent Residents) who have expired Green Cards could be considered “out-of-status” and denied entry to the United States. It is important to ensure that your proof of permanent residency status is valid and current. You should verify the expiration date on your Green Card if it was issued more than 10 years ago. You should immediately renew your Green Card if your Green Card has expired or is close to expiring.

If you are eligible for one or more of these benefits, you should order the Green Card Renewal Guide.

  • Loss or Stolen Green Card: You should immediately file for a replacement if your Green Card has been lost or stolen.
  • Destroyed or Mutilated Green Card: You should immediately request a replacement if your Green Card becomes damaged, mutilated, or unreadable.
  • Name change: If your name has changed recently due to marriage or for any other reason, you should request a new Green Card.
  • Outdated or Incorrect Information: You should immediately update your Green Card if it contains inaccurate or out-of-date information.
  • Green Card not received: Sometimes, a Green Card is not received, even though it was approved and issued by USCIS. There are steps to be followed if you do not receive a Green Card after you have submitted an application.
  • Get rid of “Conditional Residence”. A Green Card issued less than two years ago might be considered a “conditional green card.” Conditional residence Green Cards are only valid for two years. Individuals with expired conditional Green cards are considered “Out Of Status” and may be subject to removal proceedings, such as deportation. The Green Card Replacement Application Guide provides instructions for filing the necessary paperwork to get a permanent Green Card and remove conditional residence.

Additional green card issues:

  • Green Card Renewal – Individuals who have expired Green Cards could be considered “out of status” and denied entry to the United States. It is important to ensure that your proof of permanent residency is valid and current. The expiration date is printed on the back of any Green Card issued more than 10 years ago. Check your Green Card to see if it is due for renewal. For additional information and to fill out instructions, download the Green Card Renewal Application Guide.
  • Address Changes: Permanent Residents, also known as Green Card holders, must inform the USCIS about any address changes. Willfully failing to notify the USCIS of an address change within 10 working days is a serious offence. You don’t have to make any changes on your Green Card, and you only need to change your address. Please download the Address Change Application Guide.