United States Immigration Services

Online Guide to U.S. Visas, ESTA, Green Cards & More

United States Immigration Services is a major publisher of immigration guides and legal eBooks. Our do-it-yourself immigration guides are designed to assist immigrants in navigating the complicated United States immigration system. We strive to provide the best information about immigration to the United States.

How to Change Your Name in America


How to Change your Name in the United States. Whether you are looking to change your name due to divorce, marriage, adoption, transgender identity, or simply to have a more appealing name, it doesn't have to be expensive and difficult. Each state has its own guidelines for how to change your name through the legal process. Common issues, such as how to prepare to file the petition and what to expect from the courtroom testimony, are covered in an easy-to-understand format. This will help you to succeed in the name-change process.

  • Start Application Immediately
  • Easy to Understand Instructions
  • Apply Online or by Mail
  • Pricing and Fee Information Included
  • Checklist of Required Documents
  • Unlimited Online Support

What's included

What's included

  • Overview of the process for applying to change your name
  • Common reasons to change your name
  • Types of names
  • Choose a new name
  • Name change after marriage
  • Name change after divorce
  • Change of name for children
  • Name change after adoption

  • Basics of filing a petition before the court
  • What are the best times to hire a lawyer?
  • What do you do when your name has been changed?
  • Checklist after name change
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
  • Links to government agencies and courts
  • Information about fees and waivers
  • Adobe Acrobat Help
The comprehensive guide “How to Change Your Name In the United States” provides you with all the information you need to legally alter your name. It also includes a checklist of things you should do once you have your new name. Links to information about state-court filings will be provided. You will also find links to other government agencies that you may need to contact such as the IRS, Social Security Administration and United States Citizen and Immigration Services.
No matter if you hire an attorney to help with your name-change petition, the “How to Change Your Name In the United States” guide will simplify the process.