United States Immigration Services

Online Guide to U.S. Visas, ESTA, Green Cards & More

United States Immigration Services is a major publisher of immigration guides and legal eBooks. Our do-it-yourself immigration guides are designed to assist immigrants in navigating the complicated United States immigration system. We strive to provide the best information about immigration to the United States.

U.S. PASSCARD Application Guide


The new United States Passport Card is now available to U.S. citizens. The U.S. Passport Card is a convenient alternative for carrying a full-sized, bulky U.S. Passport. The U.S. Passport Card acts in the same way as a regular passport, providing proof of citizenship and identity. However, it is smaller than a credit card. The U.S. Passport Card meets the new border travel requirements and expedites land and sea border crossings between the United States and Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean. For international air travel, the U.S. Passport (or regular U.S. Passport) is still valid. The U.S. Passport Card application process opened on February 1, 2008. Production began in July 2008. Individuals can expect to receive their U.S. Passport Card within three weeks after the Department of State has received the U.S. Passport Card Application. This is a useful and easy document that individuals are encouraged to apply for early.

  • Start Application Immediately
  • Easy to Understand Instructions
  • Apply Online or by Mail
  • Pricing and Fee Information Included
  • Checklist of Required Documents
  • Unlimited Online Support

What's included

What's included

  • Overview of the United States Passport Card Application Process
  • Who can apply for the United States Passport Card?
  • How to apply for a U.S. passport card
  • Apply for your first United States Passport Card
  • Apply for your U.S. Passport.
  • How to renew your U.S. Passport or Passport Card
  • Information about urgent passport renewals and applications
  • How to get a replacement passport for a lost or stolen passport
  • How to add blank pages (48-page passports no longer exist)
  • Children under 16 years old, including babies, have special requirements

  • Information about filing fees and payment
  • Photo instructions
  • Information about eligibility
  • List of Documents Required
  • How to update your U.S. Passport following a name change
  • How to verify the status of your passport application after it has been submitted
  • Find the 9000 passport application facilities designated nationwide
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
  • List of all USCIS Offices in the Nation
  • How to get the most recent United States immigration forms

Important Warning and Disclaimer

  • U.S. Immigration Support (this site) does not issue passports and passport cards. The U.S. Department of State is the only authority that can issue passports and cards to the United States.
  • U.S. Immigration Support (this site) does not submit applications for applicants.
APPLICATION FEE – The U.S. Passport Card Application Guide purchase price does not include any Government fees. Additional fees, such as the passport application fee or execution fee, are paid directly to the U.S. Department of State if an application is made with a Regional Passport Agency.

U.S. Application for a Passport Card in the United States

  • Step 1 : Download the United States Passport Card Application Guide

  • Step 2 : Carefully read the instructions in the application guide

  • Step 3: Download and complete the application forms

  • Step 4: If there is a name change, please include a certified copy.

  • Step 5: Take passport photos according to the instructions.

  • Step 6: Visit the passport office in person or send the forms by mail to an officially recognized passport facility. If applicable, include proof of identity and citizenship as well as passport photos and any additional documentation. The application guide includes contact information and addresses.

  • Step 7: Receive the passport in 28-42 days or pay an expedited charge to receive the passport within 10-14 days. The United States Passport Card Application Guide has more information on expedited processing.


  • January 23, 2007, Re-entry to the United States via air will require a passport for the following countries: Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. This is in addition to any other destinations that may already require a passport.

  • January 31, 2008, All U.S. citizens need to have valid identification (Driver’s License or State ID) and a birth certificate in order to cross U.S. borders. The U.S. Passport Card removes the requirement for two pieces of identification. The new U.S. Passport Card will also be beneficial to U.S. citizens who live in border areas. The Passport Card allows U.S. citizens to travel to Canada and Mexico by land or to cruise to the Caribbean using a smaller, less costly option than regular U.S. Passports.

  • June 1, 2009. All citizens of the United States who travel to the United States by air, sea, or land (regardless their destination) must show a U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card or another document that is WHTI compliant.
  • Valid for land or sea travel between the U.S. and Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.
  • International travel by air cannot be made with a Passport Card.
  • U.S. passport cards are now available starting July 14, 2008.
  • The U.S. Department of State issues U.S. Passport cards.
  • Only available to U.S. citizens You must apply for United States Citizenship if you are not a U.S citizen.

Why should you apply for a PASSCARD?

  • As a U.S. citizen, you have the right to apply for a U.S. Passport Card.
  • You can travel to the Caribbean with a cruise ship or to visit family or friends in Canada and Mexico by land border crossings.
  • The right to travel internationally is a fundamental right of every American citizen. You can obtain a Passport card to exercise this right.
  • Passport card holders are able to travel to many countries without needing a visa.
  • All U.S. citizens must have a valid document that conforms to WHTI or a government-issued ID in order to cross any land or sea border between the United States, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. The documents must meet both the identity requirement (e.g. U.S. U.S. U.S. U.S. Birth Certificate Passport Card fulfils both citizenship and identity requirements.
  • All U.S. citizens who travel to the United States by air, sea or land, regardless of their destination, will need to present a US Passport or US Passport Card or another document that is WHTI compliant as of June 1, 2009.
  • Passport Cards can also be used to prove the legal age for purchasing alcohol or tobacco.
  • A regular U.S. Passport remains the only valid travel document for international air travel.
  • If you are only planning to travel by land or water to Canada, Mexico or Bermuda, the Passport Card will be a cheaper option.
  • The United States can have both a Passport card and a regular U.S. passport.
We are an independent organization. We are not affiliated with the United States government.