Green Card Address Change

Add Items to Cart

Download Now


Quick Overview

The Notice of Change of Address applies to Nonimmigrant Visa Holders (visas such as F-1, H-1B, etc.) and Green Card Holders (permanent United States residents). Providing the USCIS with your change of address is not a separate requirement, but it is a condition of a requirement of an individual’s stay in the United States. Visitors who do not comply with the change of address requirement during their stay in the United States will be considered “Out of Status”. The consequences of being out of status can lead to arrest, detention, fines, and/or removal from the United States. Future visa applications to enter the United States may also be impacted.

After September 11, 2001, the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS) was put in place is to keep a track record of those entering and leaving the United States. NSEERS was the first step taken by the Department of Justice and then by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in order to comply with the development of the Congressionally-mandated requirement for a comprehensive entry-exit program.
Overview of Contents
  • Overview of the Green Card Address Change Process
  • Application Procedures for Green Card Address Change
  • Address Change Requirement for Visa Holders
  • Address Change Requirement for Green Card Holders
  • "Special Registration" (SR) Information
  • Address Change Filing Information
  • USCIS Mailing Information
  • Directory of Ports of Departure for SR individuals
  • Overview of U.S. Immigration Terms
  • United States Embassies and Consulates Listed
  • Green Card Change of Address Application Forms
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
  • List of USCIS Offices in the United States
  • List of U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad
  • All required immigration forms are included

Product Description

Important Information for Green Card Address Change and Visa Holder Change of Address:
  • It is a misdemeanor crime to willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change (Form AR-11) within 10 days after remaining in the United States for 30 days or more.
  • Individuals being convicted, including the parent or the legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice, can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days or a combination of both.
  • Individuals may also be deported from the United States, ref. INA § 266(b).
  • The United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) run a “Special Registration” program where individuals from certain countries go through additional security steps to confirm their change of address while in the United States. Nationalities and procedures are included in this information guide.