Form I-131, Application for Travel Documentation

Form I-131

The purpose of Form I-131 is for application to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for travel documents. Travel documents allow the immigrant or non-immigrant to legally leave and re-enter the United States. The types of travel documents that are requested with Form I-131 are Reentry Permit, Refugee Travel Document, or Advance Parole Document.

A permanent resident or conditional resident may apply for a Reentry Permit pursuant to Form I-131. This allows the alien to return from travel abroad while the permit is valid without the need to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Consulate or Embassy.

A person who has been classified as a refugee or asylee, or a permanent resident who has obtained such status as a refugee or asylee, may file Form I-131. Those persons who have been classified as refugee or asylee and have not yet obtained permanent residence status must file Form I-131 in order to have a refugee travel document to return to the United States after temporary travel abroad.

An advanced parole document is granted rarely and is considered an extraordinary measure used to allow an otherwise inadmissible alien into the United States for a temporary period of time due. Form I-131 requires the alien seeking an advance parole document to demonstrate a compelling emergency. The Form I-131 application must also show that the alien cannot obtain the necessary visa and any required waiver or inadmissibility. A person in the United States may file Form I-131 on behalf of the alien seeking an advance parole document and must complete the personal information required in Part 1 of Form I-131.