Form I-94 Information Guide

Add Items to Cart

Download Now


Quick Overview

General Information on Form I-94:
Form I-94/I-94W is used to record the arrival and departure information of all visitors to the United States. All visitors must complete either Form I-94 (white) or Form I-94W (green) regardless of whether the visitor is entering the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program, of if he/she hold a valid U.S. nonimmigrant visa, such as a B-1 Business, B-2 Tourist, F-1 Student, H1B Work visa, or any other nonimmigrant visa.

Differences between Form I-94 and Form I-94W:
The white Form I-94 is issued to visitors who hold a valid U.S. visa, such as B-1, B-2, F-1, H-1B, etc. The green Form I-94 (called Form I-94W) is issued to visitors who enter the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. The "W" stands for "waiver” which means that you waive your rights to review or appeal any decision regarding admissibility in the United States and in most cases and prevents you from extending your stay in the U.S. or changing immigration status. It is not usually a problem, but it is important for you to know if you will possibly be changing your status after you enter the United States.
Overview of Contents
  • Overview of Form I-94 and Form I-94W
  • Procedures of Arrival/Departure to/from the United States
  • Replacing Lost or Stolen Form I-94 or Form I-94W if you lost it and you are still in the United States
  • Returning Form I-94 or Form I-94W to the United States government if you have already left the United States
  • How to Proof Your Departure Without Returning Form I-94
  • Why it is Important to Document Your Departure from the United States
  • Potential Problems if Your Departure is not Recorded
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
  • List of All USCIS (formerly INS) Offices Nationwide
  • United States Embassies and Consulates Directory
  • All required immigration forms are included

Product Description

Form I-94 and Form I-94W consist of two parts:
  • Arrival Record: kept by the immigration officer upon arrival – the top portion
  • Departure Record: this must be returned upon departure – the bottom portion
IMPORTANT: If you lose your departure record or forget to turn it in when departing from the U.S. you will have a problem and your file will remain open. Once you have exceeded the amount of days you were legally admitted to stay in the U.S., your classification will become as an “overstay.” This can lead to a serious problem the next time you attempt to enter the United States. You could possibly experience a denial of entry and/or cancellation of any United States visa you may have.

The visitor is responsible to prove that he or she departed the U.S. within the amount of days indicated he or she was admitted to stay. Whether you lost or misplaced your Form I-94/I-94W departure record while in the United States, or you forgot to turn it in before departing the United States, there are specific procedures to follow if this happens.

You can find solutions to the following situations in the Form I-94/I-94W Information Guide:
  • Lost, Mutilated or Stolen I-94/I-94W departure record while in the United States
  • Departure from the United States with the I-94/I-94W departure record still in your possession
  • Departure from the United States without the I-94/I-94W departure record